Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

thrush without explanation

For approximately six months I have had symptoms of oral thrush. These symptoms were verified by a doctor as thrush three months ago, and I was given Mycelex troches. Mycelex helped, but thrush reappeared after only a day or two after my subscription ran out. I have had patches of thrush on the insides of my cheeks nearly everyday during this six-month period. I also have symptoms like cystitis that have not been diagnosed as a bacterial or viral infection by urologists I have been to. I was tested for HIV1&2 as well as diabetes three months ago (my last sexual encounter of any kind was about seven months ago)and both came back negative. I am somewhat of a heavy smoker (sometimes marijuana)and I am not on antibiotics, I also have somewhat of a stress problem, though this has never been verified by a mental health practicioner. Is it possible my thrush is due to high stress? Could I have diabetes even though I was not diagnosed during that particular time? Is it likely I could be HIV positive even though I tested negative months after I first noticed thrush symptoms? I realize this is a lenghty question, but no doctors have been able to be of much assistance. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Without the ability to look at your mouth, it is very difficult for me to give specific answers. Whereas it is very common for signs of candidiasis to present on the inside of your cheeks, there are other conditions that can mimic this appearance. Since this has been an ongoing problem and you are concerned with stress, I would look into the possibility that you do not have thrush but rather symptoms of cheek biting. Stress cannot cause thrush or candidiasis without an underlying condition. People living with diabetes who present with oropharyngeal candidiasis usually do not have their disease under control; therefore I doubt that your concerns about diabetes are valid. As it appears from this message that you have been seeking medical care, my advice would be to visit a dentist who is experienced with oral medicine or oral pathology.

Take care and let me know how else I can be of assistance.

DR

Plastic Fillings
OHL on one side only?