Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

thrush without explanation
Apr 8, 2001

For approximately six months I have had symptoms of oral thrush. These symptoms were verified by a doctor as thrush three months ago, and I was given Mycelex troches. Mycelex helped, but thrush reappeared after only a day or two after my subscription ran out. I have had patches of thrush on the insides of my cheeks nearly everyday during this six-month period. I also have symptoms like cystitis that have not been diagnosed as a bacterial or viral infection by urologists I have been to. I was tested for HIV1&2 as well as diabetes three months ago (my last sexual encounter of any kind was about seven months ago)and both came back negative. I am somewhat of a heavy smoker (sometimes marijuana)and I am not on antibiotics, I also have somewhat of a stress problem, though this has never been verified by a mental health practicioner. Is it possible my thrush is due to high stress? Could I have diabetes even though I was not diagnosed during that particular time? Is it likely I could be HIV positive even though I tested negative months after I first noticed thrush symptoms? I realize this is a lenghty question, but no doctors have been able to be of much assistance. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Without the ability to look at your mouth, it is very difficult for me to give specific answers. Whereas it is very common for signs of candidiasis to present on the inside of your cheeks, there are other conditions that can mimic this appearance. Since this has been an ongoing problem and you are concerned with stress, I would look into the possibility that you do not have thrush but rather symptoms of cheek biting. Stress cannot cause thrush or candidiasis without an underlying condition. People living with diabetes who present with oropharyngeal candidiasis usually do not have their disease under control; therefore I doubt that your concerns about diabetes are valid. As it appears from this message that you have been seeking medical care, my advice would be to visit a dentist who is experienced with oral medicine or oral pathology.

Take care and let me know how else I can be of assistance.

DR

Previous
Plastic Fillings
Next
OHL on one side only?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.