Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Really scared
Feb 16, 2001

Dr. Reznik, I am hoping that you can help me. My tongue has turned completely white. The very back of my tongue appears to have clumps of white stuff on it, while the front part of my tongue has turned white and has a kind of hairy look tht wont go away, no matter how much a brush or try to wipe it off. I was HIV negative at 3 months after my last possible exposure, and I am really scared that I have thrush is showing it so soon normal?

Response from Dr. Reznik

I have picked this question to answer as there are at least 20 others with the same question.

Plain and simple: a white tongue does not mean you have been infected with HIV.

coated tongue does not mean you have been infected with HIV

hairy tongue does not mean you have been infected with HIV

The vast majority of my patients have an AIDS diagnosis and do not present with a white tongue

On the other hand, if you have white patches, which are removable by gently scraping, on any of the soft tissues in the oral cavity, such as the buccal mucosa (inside of cheeks), floor of the mouth, hard and soft palates (roof of the mouth), gingiva (gums), etc it is quite possible you have thrush. Presenting with thrush does NOT mean you have HIV infection as there are several other potential causes of candidiasis (see previous answers to questions on thrush/candidiasis).

If you are have been unsuccessful with oral hygiene techniques, such as gently brushing your tongue every time you brush your teeth, please see your dentist.

Take care,

DR

Previous
Geographic tongue and herpes
Next
Plastic Fillings

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.