Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Confused in the UK...

Dear Dave,

I know you are extremely busy and you receive loads of questions everyday, but I need some expert help. My confusion is making me go nuts and I'm desperate. Here in the UK it's really hard to get accurate consistent information about HIV. The clinic I attended said that after a negative test at three months I could be sure I'm not infected, and they say that it's all in my head now. I understand that many psychological issues are troubling me also, but I'm confused... I know you guys say 6 months, but is that being extra cautious? Also, I've got thrush in my groin and possibly my mouth (Nysatin cleared it up for a while), sore and itchy eyes (CMV?), and am hot and sweaty all the time (Hep?). Could these be caused by stress? Surely antibodies would be in my blood by now if I have all these symptoms? Thanks for your time -- the Body is an awesome website, and I've taken a lot of comfort from you experts over the last 3 months of torment...

Thanks

Ian

Response from Dr. Reznik

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends testing out to six months after a potential exposure.

The fungal infection around your groin is most likely not due to stress, but also is a common condition found in HIV negative individuals. You then proceed to list multiple symptoms such as excessive sweating, itchy eyes and possibly "thrush" in your mouth. None of these conditions would suggest HIV infection. To date, there is no conclusive evidence that seroconversion illness leads to oral thrush. It is possible that your oral symptoms and excessive sweating may be due to stress, but this question is best answered by your primary care provider.

I hope this helps!

DR

Wait with dental care?
Erythematous Candidiasis Questions