Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Wait with dental care?

My MD advised me to wait with dental care (EVERYTHING needs to go out and I get fake teeth). I have just been treated twice with TBC and just started tri-cocktail for 1 month. 1 million VL and CD4 150. Because of my conditions I got the advice to first gain a bit of strength.. Is he right and should I wait for a few months?

Response from Dr. Reznik

Whereas the are no specific contraindications to dental therapy for someone who has recently initiated combination therapy, there may be some sense to the advice you were given. The dental treatment you are about to undergo is extensive and may decrease your desire to eat as you heal. It is very important that you maintain proper nutritional intake as you take your antiretrovirals and rebound from multiple extractions. It may be appropriate to adjust to your new antiretroviral regimen before proceeding with the extractions. On the other hand, if you feel good and are ready to move forward, I do not know of any contraindications to therapy. I realize this is not a straight-forward answer, but in cases such as this decisions should be made on an individual basis.

Take care!

DR

leukoplakia symptomatic of seroconversion?
Confused in the UK...