Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Wait with dental care?
Dec 12, 2000

My MD advised me to wait with dental care (EVERYTHING needs to go out and I get fake teeth). I have just been treated twice with TBC and just started tri-cocktail for 1 month. 1 million VL and CD4 150. Because of my conditions I got the advice to first gain a bit of strength.. Is he right and should I wait for a few months?

Response from Dr. Reznik

Whereas the are no specific contraindications to dental therapy for someone who has recently initiated combination therapy, there may be some sense to the advice you were given. The dental treatment you are about to undergo is extensive and may decrease your desire to eat as you heal. It is very important that you maintain proper nutritional intake as you take your antiretrovirals and rebound from multiple extractions. It may be appropriate to adjust to your new antiretroviral regimen before proceeding with the extractions. On the other hand, if you feel good and are ready to move forward, I do not know of any contraindications to therapy. I realize this is not a straight-forward answer, but in cases such as this decisions should be made on an individual basis.

Take care!

DR

Previous
leukoplakia symptomatic of seroconversion?
Next
Confused in the UK...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.