The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Please Please help
Dec 19, 2000

I was looking at your page last week... I am a basket case all the time worried about this. I check my mouth at least twice a day. Monday morning I looked, and there was a red circle,a little bigger than a pencil eraser. I don't know if I jabbed it with my toothbrush or I was eating hard chips on Sun. nite. please tell me about the red infection in the photos. is is always that big... does it start out small and spread. Is this the only thing that could cause a red circle to appear in the way back roof of your mouth?? is it smooth or bumpy?? Also the ridges on the side way back of your mouth, can they look red if you have post nasl drip??? please help... I am going crazy and driving my best friend nuts....

Response from Dr. Reznik

I believe you are concerned that you may have erythematous candidiasis (EC). EC is a red, flat, subtle, smooth, lesion which normally appears on the roof of the mouth and/or the dorsal (top) surface of the tongue. The pictures you have referred to in the HIVdent Picture Gallery are very typical presentations of EC.

What else can cause a red spot on the roof of your mouth? A few things immediately come to mind:

1. Trauma. Biting the wrong way on a "hard chip" or toothbrush trauma are two excellent examples

2. Burn. Drinking tea or coffee that is too hot, or pizza burn are other common examples of burns that would leave a red mark on the roof of your mouth.

Finally, it is very possible for post nasal drip to cause the tonsillar pillars to turn red.

Take care,


Oral Warts?
How long to wait to get tested?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint