Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Oral Warts?

I referred a client to his MD for an unusual looking growth on the attached gingiva of the lingual lower anterior teeth~8X12" and thick~4mm, white, 'verrucous looking'...The pathology report indicated a 'squamous papilloma of viral etiology'. The client has said his doctor has said nothing can be done about it and the client called me(RDH) to find out more. It is growing and 'feels weird'..He would like to have it removed? He also wants to know if it is communicable and if he should tell his partner. Is this an HPV of the oral cavity? I am thinking to refer him to a second clinic at the University that I know studies pathology with HIV but what can I tell him now?

Response from Dr. Reznik

Oral warts due to HPV can be treated by several means: surgical removal, cryotherapy, intralesional injections of interferon alpha, etc. The problem with most therapies is that these lesions tend to recur. I do believe oral interferon lozenges have received "orphan drug" approval from the FDA for treatment of oral warts in HIV positive individuals, although I have yet to have any clinical experience with this formulation.

I would definitely refer your patient to the clinic experienced in the management of oral pathology seen in association with HIV infection.

Great question! Thanks for taking the time to access this Forum. I hope this information proves helpful.

Sincerely,

DR

Dentist
Please Please Please help