Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

THRUSH HIV?

Dear Doctor,

I have been having a severe sinus problems and I believe that is because of my heavy smoking habit and the heavy use of nasal spray. The worse thing is that I also have athsma and have ben taking Ventide ( Sabutamol) since I was very young. This morning I went to see the doctor concerning my sinus and he said I have developed thrush in my mouth and he asked me to test for HIV. I feel pretty healthy otherwise, and very active sports person. Right now I am pretty scared. My sexual behaviour is sometimes risky. Could this thrush be the HIV symptoms?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Reznik

There are two keys to this question:

1. You admit that you have engaged in risky sexual behavior. Whenever someone admits to engaging in risky behavior and has concerns about their HIV status, then an HIV test is in order. As my medical colleagues would point out, it is better to know your status and begin treatment, if necessary, than to wait for CD4 depletion and potential opportunistic infections.

2. Whereas I am unfamiliar with Ventide, the fact that you have had asthma since childhood means you may have been on a steroid-containing, anti-inflammatory inhaler. Many times people forget to rinse out a steroid-containing inhaler after use and subsequently develop thrush.

Is thrush a sign of HIV infection? Yes, but thrush is also sign of other conditions and a consequence of certain medications.

Hope this helps!

DR

Oral HPV or my imagination
Please help...