Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

HPV on Tongue

Hi Dr Reznik Please answer as I am unable to obtain conflicting reports from 6 doctors. I have a whitish lump, about 3 mm, on the tongue near to the back, where the throat is. It grows and shrinks at times. One doctor said it is an injury caused by biting the tongue and as a result it is a cyst. Another doctor said it is HPV. Yet another doctor said it is not HPV but an abnormal growth. The doctor that said it is not HPV is a specialist for STDs. Yet yet, another doctor said it is a papillae. Please help. I know you can't diagnose over the internet but please provide me with some direction as to what should I do.

Response from Dr. Reznik

I have a few suggestions: First, visit an oral surgeon who should be able to determine whether or not what you are describing is a circumvallate papillae, a normal part of tongue anatomy. If the area in question is not a circumvallate papilla, then the oral surgeon will be able to biopsy the lesion to accurately determine the cause.

Good luck!

DR

Oral Transmission
special considerations for chemo