Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Oral Transmission

Dear Dr. Reznik,

I'm from Japan. Please kindly excuse my poor English. I have no any open sores or gum problems in my mouth. On one occasion, I sucked a girl's nipple for less than one minute. I thought I did the right thing for not having sexual intercourse or any forms of oral sex with any girl whom I don't know her HIV status. The incident took place at a very dark environment. I cannot be sure that there was absolutely no discharge or oozing fluid on her nipple. However, I didn't taste or smell anything while I was sucking her nipple. Can saliva help to kill HIV? Please kindly assess my risk!

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Reznik

What you have described does not sound like a risky behavior which would put you at risk for HIV infection. It is true that saliva does have properties which help to inactivate HIV and even if the person in question was lactating, the chance of transmission in this circumstance would be very minimal.

Take care,

DR

Leukoplakia signs and symptoms...
HPV on Tongue