Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

acute halitosis
Jan 18, 2001

I have been having acute halitosis. I visited several dentist's, but they are all of the the opinion that there is no problem in my mouth. i have had safe sex with several women. could hiv cause severe halitosis.

Response from Dr. Reznik

HIV has not been linked to severe halitosis (bad breath) in any of the literature I have reviewed or read. The most common cause of halitosis is insufficient oral hygiene. A good home care regimen should include brushing your teeth, gingiva (gums) and tongue with a soft toothbrush for at least two minutes twice a day. There is research which shows that using a toothpaste which contains triclosan and co-polymer (Colgate's Total Toothpaste) significantly reduces the symptoms of bad breath when compared to toothpastes which do not contain triclosan and co-polymer. Other oral conditions which can lead to halitosis include periodontal (gum) disease and dental decay. Since you have been to several dentists, none of which have found any problems in your mouth, my advice would be to use Total toothpaste for a least a week, twice a day as instructed above. Clinical studies have shown that Colgate Total Toothpaste provides effective control of breath odor at twelve hours after brushing the teeth.

I hope this information proves helpful!

DR

Previous
Are these warts? or something else?
Next
Leukoplakia signs and symptoms...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.