Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

dental treatment

Have been HIV+ for 16 years and unwell. Is the local anaesthetic, given by injection, or anything else used by dentists likely to cause a reaction?? Also, I use a dental rinse containing chlorhexidine Gluconate 2mg/ml., Ethanol 115mg/ml. I use it almost everyday. It has been effective in clearing up infections. However my teeth seem brittle and thin and I wonder if it is too strong to use often. Should I be alternating with a less potent mouthwash. Could you suggest what sort of strength or ingredients would be suitable. My gums often feel spongy and my teeth are loose. Any advice much appreciated.

Response from Dr. Reznik

The local anesthetics used in dental treatment today are perfectly safe to use in people living with HIV/AIDS. As a matter of fact, in the vast majority of cases, with the only exceptions being people who have an extremely low white blood cell count (WBC) or absolute granulocyte count (AGC), dental treatment is no different for people living with AIDS when compared to people living without HIV infection.

One more important point: oral health is integral to the overall health and well-being of all people. You cannot be healthy if you ignore oral health!

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is any way I can be of assistance.

Take care,

DR

curious, please respond
what is oral thrush?????