Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thrush treatment and antibiotics
Jan 25, 2001

Dr, I have just tested HIV+ and also found out I have "full-blown AIDS" Viral load 236,000 and CD4 count of 130. I have no symptoms with the exception of what my doctor has diagnosed as THRUSH. The back 2/3 of my tongue is completely covered in a whitish to yellowish almost fuzzy looking substance. No pain or discomfort. I have been taking Mycelex for 4 days with no improvement. After talking to my doctor on the phone he suggested switching me to dfloxin. After doing some research on THEBODY.com it occurs to me that I have just finished a Flagel treatment for Giardia. Could this be causing this?? If so, should I start the Difloxin right away or wait to see what happens? I just decided to eat yogurt!! thanks

Response from Dr. Reznik

A white to yellowish coating on the back 2/3 of the tongue, does not necessarily mean you have thrush (candidiasis). Just because you have AIDS and have recently been on an antibiotic does not necessarily mean that you have candidiasis. If there are no other suspicious areas in your mouth, chances are you have a case of coated tongue which does not respond to antifungal therapy. This may explain why a few days of Mycelex troches did not work. The recommended treatment time for candidiasis, whether you are using topical or systemic medications, is two full weeks. My first recommendation would be to finish the course of the topical preparation, as Mycelex troches are very effective in managing mild to moderate oral candidiasis. I would recommend against beginning a course of Diflucan, unless someone experienced in the oral manifestations of HIV/AIDS has performed an examination and suggested this course of therapy. Diflucan (fluconazole) is the most effective systemic medication used in the management of moderate to severe oropharyngeal candidiasis, but recent published reports consistently mention an increase in the incidence of resistance to this drug. By limiting your exposure to a systemic agent, you decrease the possibility of developing resistance.

Take care and feel better soon!

DR

Previous
DE TEST #2
Next
Recognition of thrush

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.