For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

What Constitutes Casual Oral Contact?

Dear Dr. Reznick: This question, at first glance, will appear unworthy of a response, but I really need one. Thank you in advance for taking the time. I recently visited a nude strip bar and was tipping the dancer. To show appreciation (I guess) she licked my face with her tongue. Of course, my cheek was wet with her saliva. I had shaved about two hours earlier ... no cuts that I know of. Is there any likelihood that I would have been infected this way, even if she had blood in her mouth I was unaware of. Neurotic question, I know, but your expert medical opinion will go a long way in giving me peace of mind or encouraging me to test. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Reznik

There is no risk of transmission from what you have described.

Receive Oral Sex w/ condom but have herpes ulcer