Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

hairy leukoplakia

I was just diag'd hiv pos. I think I have hairy leukoplakia. I am worried that this may indicate a late stage diag. of hiv. Is this true or can be an early sign as well?

Response from Dr. Reznik

The key here is not to try and figure out the degree of disease progression by self-diagnosis of the oral cavity. Whereas you may be correct that you have oral hairy leukoplakia, this may in part, be due to your present viral load as opposed to your T-cell count. On the other hand, you may not have oral hairy leukoplakia at all as there are other conditions, which resemble this manifestation.

Once you visit the primary care provider who will be managing your HIV disease, you will then have the information you seek such as viral load, CD4 count and effective strategies to manage both.

Take care and let us know if there is any other way we can be of assistance.

DR

please please please please answer
Anilingus (Rimming)