Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Diflucan

My doctor told me I had oral thrush a few months back, I asked for a hiv test...possible risk was over 2yrs ago, test was negative. He put me on Diflucan, it did nothing. Does this mean I was misdiagnosed with Thursh? I still have the burning tongue. No meds before that and Im female.

Thanks in advance

Response from Dr. Reznik

Diflucan is a very effective agent when used to manage oral candidiasis and I would expect that it would be more than effective against burning tongue if caused by Candida. Therefore, my advice would be to visit a dentist experienced in oral medicine or oral pathology to determine the true case of your burning tongue. A search performed on MedLine retrieved the following results:

Middle-aged women, mostly postmenopausal, are diagnosed with symptoms of burning mouth syndrome seven times more frequently than men. Symptoms of a burning sensation of the oral mucosa mainly occur in the elderly, more often in women than in men. Often accompanying symptoms are complaints of a dry mouth and taste disturbances, all together referred to as the burning mouth syndrome. In the majority of cases there is no detectable cause.

I hope this information proves helpful.

DR

Root Canal then sick
Re:Oral yeast...Meant Oral Thrush