Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Oral Warts and Thrush

Hello, Dr. Reznik

about eight weeks ago I foolishly performed unprotected oral/ and had protected viginal sex with female worker at a local massage parlor. I am not sure if she was mentrating or not which lasted four to five minutes. Following this experience I had developed urethra discomfort and abdominal pain. I was treated for claymdia (with doxycline) for 10 days no resolve, I was sent to a urilogist, I had prostatitis. (30 days of Levifloxin) At this point i developed oral thrush. I was treated for thush (which cleared) but still a whitish tint on the back 1/3 of my tounge that the doc says in not thrush but healing tissue. The prostatitis has cleared. I have had extreme stress/anxiety/guilt since the day this happened. At 6 weeks I noticed what appeared to be little brown dots on the inner lining of my cheeks, both side in two locations. The brown dots where there for two days or so now gone, but seems to be a some bump in that location. I tested for HIV at 5 weeks (negative) and I am waiting for a 8 week sample to return, will test again at 12 weeks. My question is would HPV (oral) transmission be as easier than HIV. Is it common to see oral warts in non HIV- people. Is there any over the counter meds to treat it. thanks -etremely worried

Response from Dr. Reznik

There are many questions contained within this posting so I will try and separate them out.

1. It is very possible to develop thrush when on broad-spectrum antibiotics. This is one of the main risk factors for people who develop candidiasis (thrush).

2. You are testing very frequently; the CDC recommends testing at baseline, 3 months and 6 months.

3. Whereas you have not described anything that sounds like oral warts, HPV is much more easily transmitted as compared to HIV. The incidence of oral warts in HIV negative individuals is 0.4%

4. More likely than not, the brown dots which occurred for a few days, is due to check biting or trauma.

Take care,

DR

Oral Warts and Kissing
trush please answer