Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Implant or Bridge?
Jan 6, 2002

Due to a failed root canal I recently had tooth 30 extracted. The plan is to install a bridge anchored on teeth 29 and 31, both of which have had root canals. Tooth 29's root canal did not reach all the way to the end of the root because of calcification, which was the complication that ultimately resulted in the loss of tooth 30. When is an implant indicated instead of a bridge and is there any reason to believe that one approach would have a better long-term outcome for an HIV patient?

Response from Dr. Reznik

This is a very good question, which has no easy answer. First and foremost, there have been no studies regarding the success or failure of dental implants in people living with HIV disease. It is my opinion that if an individual were a good candidate for dental implants, HIV status would not matter.

The key to your case is the condition of tooth number 29. As long as it has been asymptomatic and your endodontist believes the treatment to be a success, and you have good supporting structures (periodontium) a bridge should be a reasonable choice for this restoration. The only other factors which should enter into this decision-making process would be time, expense and discomfort.

Take care and let me know which choice you made.

DR

Previous
notifying dentis of hiv status
Next
What's going on in my mouth??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.