Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Bleeding Gum & Mouth Ulcer

Dr. Reznik,

My gum bleeds frequently each time I brushed my teeth. Is it OK if I shared toothpaste with others? What is the risk level of AIDS transmission.

On another occasion, I had mouth ulcer and bleeding gum, then I may have eaten a piece of apple pie that has blood on it as my colleague accidentally cut himself while slicing it. The blood (may or may not) on the pie was exposed to the air for at least 3 mins before I ate it. Am I at risk? What is the risk level? Kindly advise. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Sharing toothpaste should not be a concern. Personally I do not recommend sharing a toothbrush regardless of a person's HIV status.

Take care,

DR

Oral Yeast and Hiv
notifying dentis of hiv status