Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pain on those circumvalle Papillae bumps
Oct 12, 2000

Hi Dr.Reznik, sorry to be a pest, I just wrote you a couple of days ago about oral thrush, but now I have another question. I know how devoted you are to answering these questions, and I think thats great! Anyway, just the other day i developed a sore throat. It didn't feel scratchy or burning like usually with a cold but it was just piercing pain, it felt like a canker sore. Anyway I was looking down my throat and I could see those red bumps back on the tongue and one looked a little more swollen than the others so i touched it with a q-tip and I realized thats where the piercing pain was coming from. It was very painful! I gargled with warm salt water and I been using orajel which seems to help. Is it possible to get a canker sore down that far on one of those circumvalle papillae.? I am not really concerned about canker sores because my whole family for some reason are prone to them. I just wanted to know if thats what it could be, is there any other types of sores or infections that can form on those bumps? Its hard for me to see that far but there is really nothing big around it it's just hurts when i touch it and its a little more swollen then the others. It is feeling better and I do plan to go to a doctor if it does not go away but is this anything to be concerned about or is it sometimes normal to occur in HIV negative people? Hope to hear from you soon!

j.d.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear J.D.:

Like all of the oral manifestation seen in association with HIV/AIDS, none are diagnostic of HIV infection and none are solely seen in people living with HIV/AIDS. To directly answer your question, there are a few reasons why you may be experiencing pain in this area including trauma or irritation, ulceration, etc. If the pain does not improve, please take the time to visit a dentist experienced in oral medicine or an oral pathologist to rule out other possible causes.

Take care,

DR

Previous
Thrush
Next
cold sore question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.