Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Thrush from corticosteroids or Hiv?

Hi

I had protected anal and vaginal intercourse w/my ex.For the first hr or so after i itched really bad,he did not ejaculate in me and i have no reason to believe the the condom broke.

I have canker sores in my cheek from chewing ,he had sores on his lips which i thought was from shaving,we kissed a lot.Three weeks later i noticed white spots inside my upper lower lips,which wiped away easily,no soreness my tongue is fine.my lips were also extremely dry.I went to see a doc who dismissed my fears of hiv ,prescribed zovirax,said i was dehydrated which i agree w/ and that the white stuff was fever blisters,which i strongly disagree w/since it can be wiped away,and isnt painful at all.

What is my risk of Hiv from the above encounter,i have been roaming the web for info ever since the incident,and this white stuff is pushing me over the brink of paranoia.

I investigated other possible causes.The only thing new to my regime is that i started using a topical clobestal{.05mg} ,cream for the past 2 mths,for a few pimples i had on my face,i notice it lightened my skin markedly so i used it on my legs,and buttocks ,as well to even out skin tone,i had no idea that the skin lightening was a side effect,could the white in my mouth be a result of the cream also or am i stretching here?I notice since i stopped the white stuff has started to disappear,except if i eat yogurt{go figure }the time i noticed it was after eating yogurt the night before

Can a topical corticosteriod [temovate} cause thrush i used at least 120 g for the two months ,

I know all this researching and worrying wont put my mind at ease so i am taking the hiv test in a few days.I did call the poison control center and they said there is no danger from topicals,though my leg work as indicated otherwise.Whats your opinion?

Response from Dr. Reznik

Topical corticosteroids used *orally*, for conditions such as asthma or oral aphthous ulcerations may lead to oral candidiasis. Topical steroids used to treat skin problems will not lead to oral candidiasis. One of the main reasons we use topical steroids is that they affect a specific area and are not absorbed systemically.

Take care,

DR

Thrush and HIV-negative
chicken or egg