Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Thrush and HIV-negative

regards. In April of this year I had a case of thrush. At that time, I was not taking any medication of any kind. Within 2 weeks of medication I was cleared. Being in a high risk group I suspected that I might have HIV. However, In July of the same year I tested negative for the HIV. Currently, I have a recurrent of thrush. Does it mean that I am HIV positive now? and how likely is it for getting thrush if you are HIV negative? Best

Response from Dr. Reznik

Thrush or candidiasis, which is frequently seen in association with HIV/AIDS, is not diagnostic of HIV infection. IN other words, there are other conditions such as uncontrolled diabetes which would make a person more susceptible to candidal infections.

Another point is that even though we see some patients present with candidiasis during seroconversion illness (not enough to be a proven indicator), most patients who present with candidiasis have been HIV-infected for some time and have a CD4 count at or below 250.

I hope this helps!

DR

HIV transmission through mouthwash
Thrush from corticosteroids or Hiv?