Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Geographic Tongue

In a previously answered question you said the Geographic Tongue is not related to HIV. I went to a specialist to have him take a look at my tongue and he told me I had Geographic Tongue. One of his first questions was if I could be HIV positive. I haven't felt great lately (sore throat, dry eyes, very dry nose, hot spells) and now he has me concerned that it could be something more serious. I was tested for HIV in August and it came back negative. Based on his question, I'm very concerned.

Response from Dr. Reznik

I have not seen any published research, documented evidence or even clinical correlations linking geographic tongue and HIV infection. This is not to say that people living with HIV/AIDS cannot present with geographic tongue, but I could probably count on one hand the number of cases I have seen. Do I believe, taking into consideration clinical experience and published evidence, that geographic tongue is in any way suggestive of HIV infection? NO

If the presence of geographic tongue, as indicated by this question, was the reason your provider questioned your HIV status, I would not be concerned.

Take care,

DR

Strange white lesion/sore in mouth
Aplh. Ulcers - Cause? If not HIV - How?