Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Strange white lesion/sore in mouth

I have a question. I may or may not have been exposed to HIV about 2 months ago (I performed unprotected oral sex on another male). Recently, about 4 days ago, I got a white lesion or sore on my gums. It is kind of sore, but doesn't constantly hurt. Could this be a symptom of an HIV infection of another STD? I rarely get cold sores, and when I do, they usually go away rather quickly after I rinse my mouth out for a day or two with hydrogen peroxide. This lesion, however, doesn't appear to be responding to that. Do I need to see a dentist or a doctor?

Response from Dr. Reznik

I wish I could be of more assistance, but without having the opportunity to see the area you have described, I cannot be of much assistance. I would suggest that you do visit a dentist for a thorough oral examination to determine the cause of the "sore".

One general point: please do not rinse with undiluted hydrogen peroxide. If you prefer peroxide mouthrinses, I highly recommend Peroxyl which is a pleasant tasting, diluted, hydrogen peroxide mouthrinse

Take care,

DR

Sure hope you can help!
Geographic Tongue