Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

can i give hiv if my girlfriend swallows?
Oct 28, 2000

I think i may have hiv. I want to know if my girl friend is at high risk if she swallows my cum? i know you are at low risk if you have oral sex but nothing ever talks about if the cum is swallowed. please help me.

Response from Dr. Reznik

HIV can be transmitted via semen through oral receptive intercourse. If you are not sure about your HIV status, please take the time to have an HIV test and practice safe sex.

Below is a more scientific rationale why oral receptive intercourse with ejaculation can lead to transmission of HIV.

UCLA AIDS Institute researchers have solved a piece of the mystery of why the AIDS virus targets the gut, explaining why unprotected oral and anal sex with an infected partner holds even greater risk than previously believed, reported this week's issue of AIDS. (August 22, 2000) Anton and his colleagues drew blood samples and gut biopsies from eight HIV-negative volunteers. Next, they isolated the immune system's infection-fighting T-cells from the samples and compared the number of co-receptors on the surface of each cell. Their findings suggest that HIV may have an easier time penetrating and replicating itself through the gut than the circulatory system. "We were amazed to discover that the gut's T-cells possessed seven times more co-receptors than the blood's T-cells," Anton said. "Because HIV can only infect T-cells that possess a certain combination of co-receptors, the gut literally unlocks the door to the immune system so HIV can sneak in." Immunologists have long recognized that the gut contains the greatest number of T-cells, making it the largest organ in the immune system and the body's front defense line against HIV. The intestinal lining contains 50 to 70 percent of the immune system compared to only 2 percent in the blood.

DR

Previous
Bleeding gums, Herpes, and HIV
Next
Implants

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.