Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

warts in the mouth
Dec 1, 2000

I've been diagnosed with human papilloma about 4 months ago. Although I've had symptoms since February of this year. Im also in a gay relationship and feel my partner might have help me get them, but Im not sure. He has no visible signs. In any event, I was first referred to an ear nose and throat doctor who began treatment by laser (took him a while to determine what they were), but I went into the hospital 3 - 4 times and was put under (anesthesia) and he tried to laser. then I became skeptical and went to a dermatologist who has been treating this as well as genital herpes for me too. He has been spraying nitrogen? or something on them in the office....bottom line is I dont know of anyone who specializes in the gay lifestyle and associated health issues. And Im not "out" yet so Im not comfortable explaining my concerns with him.

Bottom line is that they keep spreading, I even got desperate and tried putting Aldaria creme on them which first appeared to help but then caused a burn/irritation which has sense developed into what appears to be a large wart in my mouth. Im concerned my determolgist is not familiar with treating something like this and don't know where to turn? Im afraid and concerned and want to know if you can help or can give me some advice about treatment, risks, eradication, etc.

I travel on business to Atlanta frequently and would pay for a visit or have health insurance. Please any advice would be helpful.

Response from Dr. Reznik

We are seeing an increase in the presentation in oral warts, which is cause by HPV (human papillomavirus). HPV is very easily transmitted, but difficult to treat when it appears in the oral cavity. From what you have described, the people managing your problem do know what they are doing, as two of the most frequently used methods of management are surgical removal and cryosurgery. The problem with treating oral warts is that they tend to recur, which is why we use the less traumatic approach of management, cryosurgery. Aldera is an option we use to try and prevent recurrence, not treat, at the OHC.

I would suggest you have your provider check into the use of topical alpha interferon lozenges, which have received "orphan drug" approval from the FDA for use in the management of oral warts due to HPV. Another option would be alpha interferon injections into the lesions. This is a more intensive approach.

Take care, and please do not hesitate to contact me for further information.

Sincerely,

DR

Previous
Diagnosed with NUP -- Need help
Next
Is Angular Cheilitis enough reason to worry?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.