White rice as a treatment for diarrhea

Just a helpful hint for folks dealing with HIV-related diarrhea. White rice and rice water! I've been Poz since the mid 80s. After several infections, drug resistance and t-cell counts around 0, I've discovered the joys of white rice and a low fat/low insoluble fiber diet. For me white rice is better than brown rice (I guess the "husk" irritates my GI tract). I make a big pot of boiling water and add a small amount of uncooked white rice 1/2 cup, cook for 45 minutes and a soupy, tasteless, white rice water develops, drain the liquid into a container and drink 2 or three times during the day, eat the overcooked rice (if possible). I've tried every anti-diarrheal medication on the market. They work inconsistently and/or lose their effectiveness after a few weeks. Forget about cotton, white rice is the "fabric of our lives" : ).

Response from Dr. Fisher

This is excellent advice. When I was in Durban this month for the AIDS conference I came down with an episode of food poisoning (which for me is always diarrhea). I did not recover till I had a dinner of white rice with a "yogurt drink" as recommended by the owner at an Indian restaurant (I went with some friends to get out of the hotel, not to eat).

Alvan Fisher, M.D.

testosterone IM level fluctuations.
Has it been found that Crix causes Testosterone levels to drop?