Milk Thistle

Dear Doctors:

I am currently taking Combivir and Sustiva. Just tested positive a few weeks ago. VL 70 CD4 825 before starting the meds. I am worried about the medicine on the liver and decided to start taking 500 mg of Milk Thistle per day. Been a moderate drinker for about 15 years. I have heard pro's and con's about the herb and HIV medicine. What is your opinion. Thanks for all the great information on this site.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Nearly all my patients who have hepatitis C take milk thistle. It seems to lower their liver numbers with doing anything to the virus. Neither of those drugs have a high likelihood of causing liver toxicity. The best thing you can do if you are worried about your liver is to stop drinking! Good luck! DTD

Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

OPHTHALMOLOGICAL SIDE EFFECTS?
viral load tests