Diarrhea/Blastocystis hominis etc.

I have been HIV +ve for 4.5 yrs and started Nelfinavir, AZT and 3TC shortly after seroconversion. I have done well on this regime, VL is undetectable and CD4 is around 850. Several months ago I experienced an acute gastro intestinal infection with foul smelling watery stools. Stool samples were collected but no pathogens were detected. The diarrhea subsided but I still experience diarrhea over and above the usual nelfinavir related soft stools. I subsequently took a Great Smokies Comprehensive Parasitology test. The test detected: Pseudomonas aerudinosa, Geotrichum species, Blastocystis hominis and Entamoeba hartmanni. I took these results to my doctor (here in the UK) but he did not consider these factors to be pathogenic. I would be very interested to know whether you would consider these agents pathogenic and how they should be treated. Many thanks, Rob

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Rob, Great Smokies sometimes overreads the stools. However that being said, if you are having diarrhea and if you have HIV and if you have at least Blastocystis and perhaps entameba hartmanii, then I think you should be treated. There is little downside risk of a course of metronidazole or diiodoquin or albendazole for a week or two. On the other hand if you had an acute infection which is now over, then you may be more subject to irritable bowel than before or more subject to the nelflinavir diarrhea. For that people are trying calcium supplements very successfully. Good luck! DTD

Vomiting meds!
WORK OUT