my bowels are irritable...and so a i

i've been hiv positive for 20 years...and after depletion of t-cells [<0]four years ago, i began the triple combo with crixivan, azt and 3tc. unfortunately, i never had a baseline viral load before i began the therapy...but i have had undetectable levels since i began the protease inhibitors. my t-cells have rebounded to around 220. i also have graves disease, and am trying to get my thyroid hormones back in the normal range; a frustrating situation.

anyway, i switched PI's to viracept about a month ago after two bouts of crix-induced stones; i too have had some pretty serious diarrhea, mostly after eating. i am taking metamucil 2x a day [one teaspoonful, but i'm trying to NOT take the immodium, as it has had a tendency to cause constipation...even just one pill a day. my question is: since i have the diarrhea after eating and not during other times, is it more of an irritable bowel syndrome? also, with the watery stools after eating, just how much malabsorption is taking place. my weight seems pretty consistent, but i have had loss of muscle tissue. i also haven't felt like working out very much. i'm hopeful that i can get the thyroid hormone balanced, and lessen the loose stools. i think all of this has a role in the fatique that i feel. so, is the treatment for irritable bowels the same as for general diarrhea. i feel convinced that i'm not suffering from any parasitic infection.....thanks, this service is truly enlightening and educational. av.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

In general, the best treatment for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is metamucil and something like librax or bentyl before meals. They are not nearly as constipating as imodium. I am glad you are not losing weight, but you should have your stools checked anyway. Finally, you should get your testosterone checked. A low testosterone can cause muscle wasting and fatigue. Graves disease can also cause diarrhea and lack of energy. Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

diarrhea on triple combo therapy
Am I wasting?!?!?