Metamucil

Thanks to a regimen of Viracept, Epivir, Zerit and acyclovir, my viral load has remained undetectable for nearly two years, even on an ultrasensitive test, and my CD4s have remained steady. I have been plagued by persistent diarrhea, though. The drugs exacerbated my intolerance of high-sulfite foods (onion, garlic, processed meats, wine) and contributed to lactose intolerance, so I was chomping up to 8 immodium tablets every day. I recently started taking metamucil twice per day, and the diarrhea has ended. I don't get the gas and rumbling that I used to have most of the time. My question: does the metamucil affect absorption of the meds? Should I avoid taking metamucil in the morning with my meds?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Metamucil is only a fiber supplement, so it should not affect absorption of medications. It may slow down your gut a little and make it less irritable. I don't think that it should be a problem. The other thing that often helps is using pancreatic enzyme supplements like Ultrase MT 20. You can take all the fiber you like and not worry about side effects. Good Luck! Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Not Diarrhea...loose stool??
what's up with SB-Normal Stool Formula and does it work?