Exercise, supplements & medications

Hi, I lift weights regularly and am considering taking creatine. Currently, my meds consist of Sustiva, Videx, and Epivir. Given my HIV medication, should I consider taking creatine as a workout supplement?

Oh - second question: In the past 2 months, I've had diarrhea. My doctor has given me dyphenoxylate/atrophene and it works well (I've been taking 2 tiny pills per day). Do you know which medication is causing the diarrhea?

Thanks in advance and I really appreciate you taking the time to provide advice.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Hi,

Creatine should not have any major interactions with those meds. However you should make certain to stay hydrated with your workouts lest it cause problems.

The likliest candidate for the diarrhea is the ddI(Videx). You might minimize it with a lactose-free diet if you have not tried that or try taking it all at once at bedtime if you are not doing that already. Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Excessive Diarrhea from Meds
perhaps ShamanBotanicals.com has a solution to loose stool