metabolife ingredients

You recently asked for the ingredients that were contained in the Metabolife that I was taking for assistance in my weight loss. here they are: Vitamin E, Magnesium, Zinc, Chromium, Ephedra (ma Huang) concentrate, Bee Pollen, Siberian Ginseng root, Ginger root, Lecithin, Bovine Cartilage, Damiana Leaf, Sarsaparilla, Golden Seal, Nettles, Gotu Kola, Spirulina Algae, and Royal Jelly. Please let me know if any of these ingredients whether singled out or grouped together have any adverse effects on the immune system. Sincerely, Thinner in Arizona

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Thinner,

The ingredient that has harmed some people is the ephedra which is a stimulant (ephedrine) usually contained in weight loss formulas. It can raise blood pressure and cause irregular heart beats. It's not a good idea to take that for too long and you should have your blood pressure checked frequently while on it. DTD

Physical Education teacher seeks advise.
Lipodystrophy