CoQ10 and DHEA

Hi. I'm a female and take kivexa, ritonavir and atanazivir. Is it safe for me to take DHEA 75mg a day and coq10 600mg a day? No other health issues that I'm aware of. I can't seem to find a consistent answer. Probably because there isn't one! Many thanks, Freya.

Hello Freya

There are no known interactions between Coenzyme Q-10 and HIV antiretrovirals.

DHEA is a steroid androgenic hormone produced by the adrenal glands. High doses may cause aggressiveness, irritability, trouble sleeping, and the growth of body or facial hair on women.t also may stop menstruation and lower the levels of HDL ("good" cholesterol), which could raise the risk of heart disease. It is not known whether ritonavir boosts its level.

Some studies show that this over-the-counter supplement in the U.S. can increase testosterone in women (not in men), with the related libido and mood benefits associated with testosterone.

In a study published in 2007, DHEA supplementation in fully suppressed HIV patients was associated with an improvement in quality of life but appeared to have no beneficial antiviral, immunomodulatory, hormonal, or body composition effects, suggesting that it not be routinely used as an adjunctive therapy in this population.

I would suggest that you do not take it blindly. You may want to talk to your doctor to get your DHEA blood level checked before and after supplementing with it.

More information on DHEA

DHEA- What do studies show?

Do you need to take DHEA?

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

In health,

Nelson

Viral load increase on treatment.
Coolsculpting for lypodystrophy