Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is it safe for me to take Arginine and Glutathione supplements?
Sep 30, 2016

Hi I am currently taking Lamivudine, Tenofovir and Efarvirenz. Is it safe for me to take arginine and glutathione for antioxidant support and skin health?

Response from Mr. Vergel

Yes but be careful if you have had herpes outbreaks since there is a concern with arginine causing flare-ups.

I would suggest you read this:

Arginine

Oral glutathione does not get absorbed.

" Glutathione will be synthesized in the cell once the rate limiting step, provision of L-cysteine, is bypassed by any means. Dietary protein itself, including L-cysteine rich sources such as Whey Protein, are effective but inefficient ways to increase L-cysteine intake in the diet and N-Acetylcysteine is both more efficient and cheaper than glutathione.

There is, currently, no known benefit of orally ingested glutathione that cannot be more readily mimicked by supplementation of N-acetylcysteine and couldn't theoretically be aided by a high protein diet including dietary sources rich in L-cysteine (whey protein)."

More information:

Glutathione

Glutathione supplements?

Please let me know if you have any further questions after reviewing this information.

In health,

Nelson

Previous
Saludos mi pana nelson, un abrazote
Next
cpk value effect

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.