Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My son has ran out of med options for his HIV
Jun 16, 2015

Nelson

I have read that you had detectable viral load for many years because of drug resistance. My son is like you but now his viral load went up and his doc tells him he has no more HIV medication options. I know he takes his meds. What can we do? Anything coming up? Thank you so much for your time.

Response from Mr. Vergel

I am so sorry that your son is running out of HIV treatment options. You are correct when you said that I have been living with HIV multidrug resistance for many years. Luckily, I joined a study 4 years ago of ibalizumab (a monoclonal antibody given by IV every 2 weeks) and had activity to Selzentry (Maraviroc). I have had undetectable viral load since then. I could not control my virus for 27 years!.

BMS has started a study for their new attachment inhibitor that can help people like your son. If a patient does not have another active HIV medication to which his/her virus has not mutated around, BMS allows for the use of other investigational medications. Your son could access ibalizumab via single patient IND and combine it with BMS attachment inhibitor for best chances to get to undetectable (we need at least two medications that the virus has not developed any resistance to).

The study information is here:

Attachment Inhibitor Comparison in Heavily Treatment Experienced Patients

If you do not see a study site close to you, please email BMS at Clinical.Trials@bms.com

The second procedure described on this link from my salvagetherapies.org website describes how to access an investigational agent outside of a clinical study setting (Your son could access ibalizumab having his doctor use this process):

Single Patient IND Access Procedure

Please let me know if you have any difficulty with this information. I am here to help.

In health,

Nelson

Previous
Osteoarthritis and HIV
Next
Desde Colombia!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.