My son has ran out of med options for his HIV

Nelson

I have read that you had detectable viral load for many years because of drug resistance. My son is like you but now his viral load went up and his doc tells him he has no more HIV medication options. I know he takes his meds. What can we do? Anything coming up? Thank you so much for your time.

I am so sorry that your son is running out of HIV treatment options. You are correct when you said that I have been living with HIV multidrug resistance for many years. Luckily, I joined a study 4 years ago of ibalizumab (a monoclonal antibody given by IV every 2 weeks) and had activity to Selzentry (Maraviroc). I have had undetectable viral load since then. I could not control my virus for 27 years!.

BMS has started a study for their new attachment inhibitor that can help people like your son. If a patient does not have another active HIV medication to which his/her virus has not mutated around, BMS allows for the use of other investigational medications. Your son could access ibalizumab via single patient IND and combine it with BMS attachment inhibitor for best chances to get to undetectable (we need at least two medications that the virus has not developed any resistance to).

The study information is here:

Attachment Inhibitor Comparison in Heavily Treatment Experienced Patients

If you do not see a study site close to you, please email BMS at Clinical.Trials@bms.com

The second procedure described on this link from my salvagetherapies.org website describes how to access an investigational agent outside of a clinical study setting (Your son could access ibalizumab having his doctor use this process):

Single Patient IND Access Procedure

Please let me know if you have any difficulty with this information. I am here to help.

In health,

Nelson

Osteoarthritis and HIV
Desde Colombia!