Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

HIV and sperm count

Can my HIV medications affect my sperm and sperm count

Excellent question.

A few researchers have looked at this question before 2006 (before the more advanced HIV medications we have now). Unfortunately they did not measure hormone levels. Low testosterone, LH and/or FSH can affect sperm quality. We have seen some data that show that HIV+ men may have a higher incidence of low T compared to age-matched controls.

They did find decreased sperm quality in HIV+ men compared to HIV- controls. I doubt that we can make any conclusions due to the small number of patients, the medications they were exposed to, whether or not they had undetectable viral load, their CD4 count, or if they had low testosterone and/or FSH blood levels. We do not know if the newer drugs we have available now that do not affect mitochondria as much as the old ones can affect sperm quality as much as what was shown in these studies.

Semen alterations in HIV-1 infected men

Decreased Semen Volume and Spermatozoa Motility in HIV-1-Infected Patients Under Antiretroviral Treatment

You can always ask your doctor to send you to a lab to test your sperm quality. It will also be good to know you testosterone,LH and FSH levels. You may need a referral to an urologist who specializes on fertility.

Let me know if this helped answer your question.

Nelson

ebola vs. hiv
I'm a top negative gay male and had sex with a bottom that might have been positive