Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

LCHF
Aug 1, 2014

Hi Nelson,

thanks for all the good work you do here on the body.

I would like to start a LCHF (low carb high fat) diet to get rid of some of my belly fat. I am HIV+ and on Complera. My CD4 cell count is 680, CD4% is 34 and my VL undetectable.

Is a LCHF diet safe for me?

Greetings from Japan

Response from Mr. Vergel

Yes, a low carb-high fat and protein diet is safe for those taking Complera. This medication requires to be taken with a meal containing fat.

Low-carb, high fat diets like Atkin's have been shown to decrease fat and lipids faster than high carbohydrate diets. However, they are difficult to sustain and there is a risk of not consuming enough fiber and vitamins. There is also a lot of water loss at the start of the diet due to ketosis in the body. Some people feel very tired in this ketosis state.

Comparison of 3 common diets

High-glycemic carbohydrate intake (carbohydrates that cause a high increase in blood insulin levels)increase fat storage (lipogenesis), accelerate atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), and promote the glycosylation of proteins (when carbohydrates stick to proteins hindering the production and utilization of hormones,muscle building and repair, and immune function). This ultimately leads to accelerated again and poor health.

A nutritional program designed to keep blood sugar low is crucial for the management of insulin. Implementing a diet in which food intake consists of low glycemic carbohydrates helps the body burn fat (lipolysis), reduces atherosclerosis and decelerates the aging process.

In addition, by consistently eating a diet high in phytonutrients (plant nutrients), essential fats, lean protein and fiber we can provide our body with all the tools it needs to fight off foreign invaders, repair tissues and maintain a state of optimal health.

These are my two most popular nutrition articles on the subject:

Outsmarting HIV With Healthy Eating

Nelson's Top 10 Tricks for Fat Loss

I hope these tips help! Good luck and let us know your progress.

In health,

Nelson Vergel

Previous
Tu salud!
Next
oxandrolone and caffine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.