When is it LOW Testosterone

Sir, My name is Jeff I am a 36 year old male and have noticed a some signs of low testosterone. I am in decent shape and I workout (moderately) 4-5 days a week, and on the days I don't work out I am usually very active.

I have had 3 different Testosterone tests done in the last 6 months. One of the tests had a "normal" range of 300-800 and the other two were the same type of test with a "normal" range from 200-700. On the test with a range of 300-800 my overall Test level was 329. On this test I did not get a "free" Test level. On the other two tests my overall Test levels averaged 260. On these tests my free test was at 6.5. My doctor said my levels were within the normal range so, usually testoterone therapy is not recommended. I asked about the fact that I am only 36 and my test levels are on the very low end and she said that those levels are within the normal range. When I asked about my levels in comparison to other men my age/shape she only referenced the fact that the levels were within the normal range and most insurance programs won't cover the cost if the levels are not below what is considered normal. Is it common for men that are my age and in decent shape to have testoterone levels that are this low? She did give me a precription for AndroGel 1.62 to see if I feel better while taking it. I haven't picked it up yet... I don't know if my insurance will cover it and I also don't want to use it if it will create significant side effects now or later in life. However if I am willing to deal with some side effects to feel better. Would you consider my Test levels low for a man my age? Do you think I would benefit from taking Test therapy?

Thank you for your advice, Jeff

Most insurance companies require a total testosterone blood level of 350 ng/dL or less to pay for testosterone products. You seem to fit the criteria.

I am sure your doctor asked you these questions since they are also required to support a prescription: How do you know if you need testosterone replacement?

There is some evidence that free testosterone is more accurate in the diagnosis of low T in HIV+ males. However, I do not think insurance companies use this finding in their reimbursement determination.

Morning free and total testosterone in HIV-infected men: implications for the assessment of hypogonadism

I hope this information helps!

Nelson

Books

Food supplement C 24/7
testosterone and Thyroid