Can I take vitamins with integrase inhibitors?

Nelson, I read somewhere that we need to be careful if we are taking Isentress, Stribld or Tivicay and also take vitamins since this may interfere with the inhibitors. Is that true?

The package inserts of raltegravir (Isentress) and dolutegravir (Tivicay) specify that "Medications containing polyvalent cations (Ca++, Mg++), including laxatives, antacids" can have interactions with those two medications (no such statement is found in the package insert for Stribld, although this 3-drug pill has more interactions due to its booster Cobicistat).

I spoke with representatives of ViiV that sell Tivicay and they suggested that any calcium or magnesium rich supplement or medication may be taken 2 hours before or 6 hours after taking Tivicay. I assume the same must hold for Isentress. Viiv is about to release data on what happens when Tivicay is taken with food and calcium soon. Please talk to your physician about this!

I am glad you asked me that question. Many people don't ask their doctors or pharmacists about potential interactions that may render their HIV regimen ineffective.

Nelson

Nelson

Trimex and Coumidin
Bloating and Constipation: Side effects of Coffee