Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Intermittent Fasting
Mar 26, 2014

Hi Nelson, What is the current school of thought regarding intermittent fasting in HIV positive individuals. I have a CD count greater than 540, and undetectable viral load. The procedure I have been using is going to sleep at about 10pm, and then only eating after midday the following day. I only do this three times a week. Of course I ensure I stay well hydrated when fasting.

Response from Mr. Vergel

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and one that should not be skipped. A few studies show that those who miss breakfast tend to gain more weight since they tend to over eat later in the day. Also, not feeding your body after sleeping for 8 hours can actually slow down your metabolism.

The fasting movements attempts to lower insulin levels with the hope of longer life spams. That has not been proven to work in humans.

Your breakfast should include protein (eggs, yogurt, nuts, meat), and good carbohydrates with fiber (berries with oatmeal,etc). Try to avoid sugary cereals and processed flour products.

In health,

Nelson

Previous
HELP! I missed 1 dose of my ARV!
Next
Starting testosterone next week. What should I expect?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.