Can't Get Aroused

About a year before I knew I was HIV+ I started to lose my sex drive and also to not feel physically aroused by my Husband. My OBGYN (who does not specialize in HIV) said she couldn't help me and that it was an emotional issue. I disagree. I certainly felt depressed about it but it's not why it started. I want to want to have sex with my husband (I'm a young woman) and I love him- I find him very handsome but my body no longer feels excited by the thought of sex or when we become intimate and I can't explain it. This was never the case before I became infected. I could always get aroused, I never needed lubrication - I always said "I can always eat and I can always have sex" now I'm lucky if I can rally myself to do it once a month and I do not enjoy it. Its never painful - its just nothing. I have now been positive and on medication for over 2 years. My counts are excellent but I noticed no improvement with my sex drive/arousal. If anything it's worse and I am also experiencing irregular, heavy, periods and notice my smell down there has changed.

I'm just extremely frustrated and feel like there's so little out there about the health of women living with HIV when it comes to these issues. Could this a hormone issue? I know my thyroid is normal and my cortisol levels. What can I do? Do you have any suggestions? Pointers? I don't want to live like this...

You may be suffering from hormone imbalance. Your heavy flow periods and lack of sex drive may be indicators of that problem.

Female sex drive is tied to blood levels of testosterone, progesterone, estrogen and DHEA. You may want to have your doctor check those hormones.

Menstrual Disorders in HIV-Infected Women

Testosterone, HIV and Women

Hormone therapy in Women

Please let me know what you find out.

In health,

Nelson Vergel

Too much gas in the stomach
Testosterone Replacement