Combination lipohypertrophy and lipoatrophy

I am a woman experiencing both lipoatrophy (limbs) and lipohypertrophy (trunk). What treatment(s) would you recommend? My doctor has mentioned serostim, but will it address both issues?

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced body changes due to HIV and its medications. Did you take Zerit (D4T) in the past?

Serostim is an approved growth hormone for HIV related wasting (10 percent or more involuntary weight loss). At doses of 2-3 mg per day it has also been found to decrease visceral fat (lipohypertrophy) but the FDA did not approve it for that indication due to side effects like hyperglycemia and joint aches. A growth hormone releasing hormone called Egrifta (tesamorelin) was approved for lipohypertrophy but there are supply issues right now. Both may decrease fat under the skin lost through lipoatrophy, though.

I summarize treatments in these articles: HIV Lipodystrophy: Where Are We After Ten Years?

HIV Lipoatrophy Products

Egrifta information

I hope this helps you make an informed decision

Nelson Vergel

start of nueropathy?
a third of supplements are fake?