Eggs and cholesterol

Hi Nelson! How are you? I hope you're doing great! I'm on haart and my bad cholesterol is a little high. I have 4 or 5 scrambled eggs every morning, for breakfast. Should I stop eating them? Should I only eat the whites and not the yolks? I exercise and try to eat well. Here are my counts: Triglycerides 85 mg/dl Total cholesterol 198 mg/dl HDL cholesterol 36 mg/dl LDL calculated cholesterol 145mg/dl Thank you.

The cholesterol-egg theory has been debunked. If fact, the yolk is where most nutrients are.

I eat 3 eggs per day and also do shakes with this product since I am milk protein intolerant.Addicted to Muscle Egg

Without knowing much more about you, losing weight is the best way to bring LDL down. Your triglycerides are great. Your HDL can use some raising.

HIV infection alone can decrease HDL (high density lipoprotein or good cholesterol). HDL serves as the "soap" that can help to keep our blood vessels clean from the plaque build up that can be caused by LDL (low density lipoprotein) and other factors. When we start HIV medications, HDL goes up but, in most cases, not to normal levels. Non nucleoside analogs like Viramune and Sustiva have the strongest effect on increasing HDL out of all the HIV medications currently available.

The SMART study showed that low HDL was one of the main factors associated in increasing cardiovascular risks in HIV.

So, many of us can be walking around with low HDL even after our HIV viral load is controlled on HIV medications. Statins and fibrates, common medications used to treat high LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, can increase HDL but yet again, most of us still do not reach adequate HDL levels. Exercise and some dietary changes can also help. Niacin, a B vitamin, is very effective at increasing HDL but many people cannot tolerate its "flushing" effect on the skin. Some companies are researching ways to inhibit this flushing that causes people to stop Niacin.

NAC is has been shown to be a good antioxidant for people with HIV and at higher doses (1200 mg per day) it may increase HDL and decrease LDL. Dose-related increase of HDL-cholesterol levels after N-acetylcysteine in man.

Red Yeast Rice has also been shown to improve LDL levels. But I am concerned that companies are adding a statin to it as the FDA has warned.

Exercise and weight loss are probably the safest ways to improve LDL.

You are almost there!

In health,

Nelson

Sending positive thoughts
MASA MUSCULAR