CHANCES

If one has been tested -ve in November 2012 and then the results were +ve in January 2013, is there a chance of erradication if or would PEP work if one begins medication in April 2013. Is ther a possibilty of a functional cure?

There is no way to answer that. The 6 percent of patients that remained undetectable in the Visconti trial after stopping medications started treatment within 3 months of infection. The Mississippi baby that was cured started treatment within 30 hours of infection.

The patients in Visconti used old drug combinations. Some used two nucleosides like AZT and 3TC. No one knows if starting medications like integrase inhibitors that bring HIV viral load down more quickly would have resulted in a higher proportion of patients remaining undetectable after they stopped HIV medications. There are studies looking into that now.

If I was to get infected today, I would try my best to start treatment as soon as it is possible. Of course, for many people this is impossible since they have to apply for assistance and that process can take a while. Others live in countries that do not provide medications unless your CD4 cells are under 500.

This is my personal opinion and in no way reflects opinions of this site, but if I was left to my own devices if I was a newly infected person, I would start early raltegravir or dolutegravir plus Truvada to improve my chances to prevent spread of HIV into my reservoirs. These regimens have been shown to quickly decrease HIV viral load compared to all others.

Nelson

Appropriate physician language
PEP medication and hiv testing