Cystic Acne on Jawline and Shoulders

Over the 18 years of my HIV infection I have consistently been bothered by cystic acne. They can be very painful and embarrassing. I am currently on an antibiotic, but it doesn't seem to be completely resolving the problem. Are there any dietary changes you can recommend? I am currently washing the area twice daily with a salicylic acid wash, but even that is not curing the problem.

Acne can be caused by the overproduction of sebum in glands that then harbor bacteria. Increased dehydrotestosterone (DHT), a metabolite of testosterone, can be a cause for this problem. DHT blockers like ketoconazole (you can wash using Nizoral shampoo) can help. Your doctor may want to prescribe minocycline also.

Accutane is usually effective to treat severe cases of acne. However, its use has been implicated with irreversible changes in hormones. Accutane side effects

UV light also seems to help decrease swelling of the affected area.

A good dermatologist can offer more options, so ask for a referral.

Nelson

Harmful gut flora
When is it safe to start exercising after starting atripla