Please Expand re Chronic Exhaustion

Hello Nelsonâ

Thank you for responding to my question regarding my chronic exhaustion and for promising to expand on this issue if you missed anything.

The sense Iâm getting is that this condition seems to be affecting all of us long-time survivors, gym-goers or not, supplement takers, or not, et al. and should perhaps be looked into by scientists studying the effects of the virus on the human body. Most days when I arise I feel optimistic that maybe today is the day when things will turn around. I keep lists of things that I absolutely have to do, and edit them to try to keep them short enough to not overwhelm me. But each day I end up needing a nap and more and more often find myself sleeping 14-18 hours a day! I know depression isnât the cause because Iâve been hospitalized numerous times for Major Depression âback in the dayâ so know the signs well. Besides, Iâm taking the maximum dose of Cymbalta and thatâs a state of the art drug which covers all the known brain chemical bases.

One factor that raises a flag for me is that often, if I donât eat anything all day (and my appetite is almost nil anyway), I can stay up longer and remain functional. Eating, however, even once a day, seems to bring on my tiredness within a couple of hours. I have had my blood sugar checked, though, several times and it is always normal!? I have to believe that maybe Iâm just winding down, getting ready to expire.

Your site published a study with a chart recently that gave current life expectancies for men infected at various ages, but even with an IQ over 160 I couldnât decipher the chart and figured it was probably best I didnât anyway. The news didnât appear to be looking too good.

Mental deterioration is another issue Iâm fighting. My vocabulary was once glib and effortless. I knew the precise word for almost any situation and it just rolled off my tongue in conversation. Now, even though my thoughts seem clear, they only translate with exhaustive effort to language. Iâll be typing or speaking and suddenly need a (rather ordinary) word I which it feels I can almost touch. But the harder I try to pull it up the further and faster it fades from my thoughts. I end up just putting my head down on my arm or desk and feeling totally defeated. Could these two conditions be related?

I very much appreciate your input and hope Iâm not being a pest. Thanks for all your thoughtful replies.

Don

Don

You need to talk to your doctor. I have a strong feeling that you are still depressed. You may want to explore other medication options. Cymbalta does not work for many people and can make them tired. Many people have to switch psych meds several times and in different combinations before finding the right regimen.

You may also want to talk to your doctor about sleep apnea and testing your thyroid and testosterone blood levels.

Some people with severe fatigue find ways to manage it with the use of medications like Nuvigil, Adderall or Ritalin to try to remain awake during daytime so that they can have a more natural sleep hygiene.

It seems that you have what is called postprandial somnolence. It is a complex issue to address and one that should be discussed with a trained physician. I think many of us feel tired after eating a meal. I try to eat smaller meals full of fiber and protein so that my insulin spikes are lower. That seems to help with this problem. You can read more about it here: Postprandial somnolence

I really hope you get the help you need. There is nothing worse than feeling that life is passing you by because you are too tired to enjoy it. I have had periods like that in the past and they have really pushed me into a state of hopelessness. Beyond Survival

Let me know what city you live in by emailing me via www.nelsonvergel.com to see if I can find a physician that can do an extensive work up on you to try to identify the source of your fatigue.

Hang in there!

Nelson

Confused About Supplements
Recurring fever with infections with no obvious symptoms