Gluten Free Foods

Nelson, I stopped bread and flour based products and my bloating is gone. Is this gluten free movement a fad or true? Thanks

Gluten is the generic name for certain types of proteins contained in the common cereal grains wheat, barley, rye and their derivatives.

Like you, my bloating is better now that I avoid bread and gluten rich foods.

Some people have sensitivity to gluten, but this topic is extremely controversial. Critics of the gluten-free movement say that people tend to feel better when going gluten free since they limit junk food and highly refined carbohydrates which tend to be detrimental to health. They claim that the improvements in symptoms is due to healthier food choices and not due to the removal of gluten from the diet.

The best way to know if you have gluten sensitivity is to get a celiac disease test. Celiac disease is an immune reaction to eating gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye.

If you have celiac disease, eating gluten triggers an immune response in your small intestine. Over time, this reaction produces inflammation that damages the small intestine's lining and prevents absorption of some nutrients (malabsorption).

The intestinal damage can cause weight loss, bloating and sometimes diarrhea. Eventually, your brain, nervous system, bones, liver and other organs can be deprived of vital nourishment.

The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness claims that some people who have negative celiac disease test results can have non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Research estimates that 18 million Americans have non-celiac gluten sensitivity. That's 6 times the amount of Americans who have celiac disease. Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity

The jury is still out about non celiac gluten sensitivity. But if some of us feel better by removing gluten from our diets, then that is all we need to know!

Here are some gluten free foods: Gluten-Free Diet

You may also want to read a recent answer about bloating: Bloated Stomach

In health,

Nelson

Lypodystrophy re-re-distribution
Atripla not 100% digested