Polycythemia

Hello Nelson.

You have helped me a great deal in getting set up with a doctor to do Nandrolone/Testosterone for my wasting. It has truly been life changing.

The therapy does cause and increase in my hemoglobin and hematocrit. Because my anabolic therapy doctor is not local, I'm having difficulty finding a local means of getting therapeutic phlebotomy to correct the polycythemia. My regular HIV doctor isn't really familiar with prescribing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And thank you again for changing my quality of life!

It surprises me that so many doctors prescribing testosterone, nandrolone and oxandrolone are not managing increased and excessive red blood cell production (erythrosis or sometimes called polycythemia) with therapeutic phlebotomies. Some do not know how to write an order for third party payment. Many ask their patients to stop testosterone replacement cold turkey instead, which sets them for rapid onset of symptoms of low testosterone again.

You may want to tell your doctor that the CMS Code is 99195 for insurance reimbursement. If using Quest, the test code is 39107, icd9 289.0

Usually, 1-2 units are drawn to decrease hematocrit conservatively to ensure proper iron levels.

More on phlebotomy to reduce hematocrit (the percentage of red blood cells in your blood): Testosterone Replacement Therapy and Polycythemia in HIV-Infected Patients

Let me know if this information helps you.

Nelson

Proteins and hiv
Wrong information on testosterone.