Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Follow Up On Response
Jun 19, 2013

Thank you so much for your response to my question regarding my T-levels (sent in on June 14, 2013). Knowing the other data you required to best answer my concerns is greatly helpful and I am happy to provide it.

I am 25 year old Caucasian male, upon my diagnosis in March i was at 117 - to date I stand at 135-137 but am working on gaining more (light cardio, high rep resistance training with breaks in between). I am a former smoker and haven't touched the stuff for the past three months and have no desire or willingness to do so again. Every AM i take a centrum multivitamin with my morning dose, each work out followed by a weigh protein shake and a whey/casein shake before bed. I get the full 8 hours of required sleep religiously and stick to a high protein, good carb diet with the right doses of the food pyramid to fill it in. I'm avoiding supplements and trying to stick to a healthy diet and lifestyle in hopes i see desired results. I know it is a long term process but given this information - would you say my testosterone levels i provided in my previous question are non worrisome? Hope that helps and thanks again.

Response from Mr. Vergel

I say keep doing what you are doing and allow for your immune system to improve. Your testosterone was close to the mid point of the range. And we have data that indicates that testosterone may increase when the immune system improves:

Sexual hormones in HIV-infected patients: the influence of antiretroviral therapy

Get your hormones checked again in 6 months and let us know how they are. I think you are highly committed to your health and will most probably be pleasantly surprised after months on HIV treatment. Just make sure that your estradiol is checked since that is a hormone we do not want to have in excess of what we need as males.

Nelson

Previous
CD4 of 41 and Weight training
Next
probiotic yogurt

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.