The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Underwight and Frustrated
May 26, 2013

Hello there, I am a 27 year old male who has been positive since 2008. I am 6'1 and 125 lbs. I have always had a thin body with a high metabolism--I get the genes from my mother. Having been on Atripla for a few years and having an undetectable viral load and decent CD4, my weight still only fluctuates between 123-127 lbs despite the healthy foods I eat and the amount of food I consume. I would like to have more mass to my body to maintain my health. My BMI is currently 16.2, my full time job is not strenuous so I really don't burn my calories too much besides my normal fast acting metabolism. Could you give me some ideas on what meals to eat, supplemental shakes to drink and exercise routines I could employ so I can get out of the 120 lb range. It seems all the chicken, veggies and whole wheat I eat doesn't do much and it's rather frustrating. I'm really not picky about anything other than fish, but I do have tuna sandwiches from time to time. Besides my weight issue I am in relatively good health. What can I do?Thank you!

Response from Mr. Vergel

Have your doctor refer you to a dietitian to ensure that you are consuming enough good calories. If nothing works, talk to him or her about nandrolone or oxandrolone, two medications that are used along with testosterone to increase lean body mass. You can read more about them here: Anabolic Therapies for HIV lean body mass


Houston support groups
dhea supplementation and testosterone

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint